PC repair class joins curriculum

Senior+Clay+LaCour+works+on+a+Chromebook+during+PC+repair+class.+Students+work+with+teacher+Kyle+Gleghorn+to+gain+practical%2C+hands-on+experience+in+repairing+technology+around+campus.+

beshears photo

Senior Clay LaCour works on a Chromebook during PC repair class. Students work with teacher Kyle Gleghorn to gain practical, hands-on experience in repairing technology around campus.

A new PC Repair class being offered is giving students a chance to learn a useful skill and gain knowledge they can take out into the world with them, especially if they are planning a career in technology. The students work on student Chromebooks and other campus technology as the need arises.

“This class gives me a head start for my career,” senior Clay LaCour said. “I want to be a Network System Administrator.”

Teacher Kyle Gleghorn said he likes the challenge of this class because even he learns new things as they come along. Plus, it takes some of the burden of time-consuming repairs to student and campus technology off of his schedule and makes for less-expensive upkeep costs than if the district were hiring an outside company for repairs.

“I enjoy teaching this class,” Gleghorn said. “I’m not the only one having to repair the Chromebooks by myself – it’s like free labour for the students.”