English tutorials provide final push before EOCs

johnson photo

English teacher Melonie Menefee talks about essay writing with students attending tutorials. As many as 70 students showed up for the afternoon sessions at one time, forcing Menefee to move the sessions from her classroom to the library so there was more room.

With the ELA End of Course Exams looming, after-school tutorials drew a large crowd of students hoping to gain an edge on what they needed to do to pass their test. The after-school lessons focused on writing, along with some test-taking strategies.

“I’ve been working and studying really hard and more than usual so I can pass,” freshman CJ Johnson said. “I’ve been looking over notes and preparing myself so when the time comes, I’ll know what to do and what to write.”

EOC testing for English classes will be on March 31 and April 1. For the first time, the test is combined, with reading and writing together in one test.

“There is so much for them to focus on for just one test,” English teacher Melonie Menefee said. “My hope is that the tutorials helps them to focus. The tutorials alone won’t make anyone pass, but if they have been paying attention in class and working all year, the tutorials may be just the boost a few of them need.”