Brothers work together and compete with livestock projects

pate photo

Freshman Jacob Fishbeck washes the steer he will compete with at the upcoming Leon County Livestock Show.

Brothers Jacob and Jarrett Fishbeck are preparing for the 2014 Leon County Youth Livestock Show that is scheduled for Thursday, April 3rd through Tuesday, April 8th. The event will be held at the new Leon County Expo Center located on CR 305 off Hwy 75 between Buffalo and Centerville.

Jacob, 14, is a freshman and has been showing a steer and a hog for the past six years at the Leon County Youth Livestock Show. Jarrett, 13, is a seventh grader and has been showing a steer and a hog for the past four years.

Jacob and Jarrett say that their county show projects go year round. Immediately following a County Show, the boys will begin raising their steers for the upcoming year. The hogs are a six-month project that begins in November. In the past, the boys have competed at other major shows, including Houston and San Antonio.

“I like messing around with the animals and finally getting to show them,” Jarrett said. “I also like to compete against others.”

When asked if they had some friendly brother competition going on, they both smiled and looked at each other.

“How about some not-so-friendly competition,” their dad, Bobby, said.

The boys are looking forward to the new venue for the show this year.

“I am looking forward to competing in the new Expo Center,” Jacob said. “It is really nice.”

Besides keeping up with their academic work, their livestock projects, and lending a helping hand at their family’s business, Davis Country Store, the Fishbeck brothers can be found playing baseball for both Buffalo and a select team out of College Station. The boys travel to College Station twice a week for practice and then compete in tournaments on the weekends.

“I’m even playing baseball on the high school team this year so I’m really on three teams now,” Jacob said.