FAFSA workshop helps seniors find money

gaskins photo

Senior Taylor Rutledge works on her FAFSA application for college financial aid. Since the applications depend on parent tax info, they cannot be started until the spring semester.

With three months left of school, the seniors have gone head-first into preparing for college. Aside from the application process, finding financial aid and scholarships are a big part of the to-do list. To help students with locating money for college, Academic Counselor Dana Morris and teacher Mitchell Pate held a FAFSA night last week.

“It’s really tedious and time consuming,” senior Julie Cook said. “But if you push through the essays and everything, just getting the scholarship is worth all the hard work.”

To help with all of the important details, Morris informed parents and students of the process and told them ways they can receive assistance with the cost of college.

“I was really glad that Miss Morris set up this workshop for us,” senior Taylor Rutledge said. “It can be confusing trying to do everything that’s needed for college and having some guidance helps a lot.”

Students and parents filled the library as elementary teacher Mitchell Pate helped walk everyone through the process of filling out the FAFSA website. The aid given by FAFSA will help many students pay for their college.

“The workshop was very useful because it helped motivate me and made me get it done,” senior Haylee Brewer said. “Now I feel more prepared to fill out scholarships.”