Caceres advances to state powerlifting

menefee

Maylene Caceres gets set to lift at a powerlifting meet at Buffalo. She will compete at state on March 16.

Yuliet Gonzalez, Reporter

Maylene Caceres and Alexis O’ Daniel competed at the regional powerlifting meet on March 7 at Eustace. The girls traveled to the meet with coaches Jesse House and Taylor Lack. Caceres won first place in her weight class with a 465 squat. She will compete at state in Frisco on March 16.

“I was excited but also really nervous about going to regionals for powerlifting,” Caceres said. “I went to regionals last year and didn’t make it to state, so I knew I needed to do better.”

O’ Daniel overall got sixth in her weight class. She said she was excited to go to regionals this year for her third year in a row. She is a little sad that it is her last year doing powerlifting in high school but is looking forward to doing it in college. 

“The meet was exciting and nerve-wracking,” O’Daniel said. “It feels as if all eyes are on you, but then you look around and realize that no one is really paying attention.” 

Caceres also plays football but feels like powerlifting is the best fit for her.

“Powerlifting is the main sport that makes me feel like I have a place in athletics,” Caceres said. “It  makes me feel like I can achieve anything.”