Lady Bison struggle to keep numbers up

menefee

Sophomore Elizabeth Daniel swivels to follow the ball, moving quickly despite her leg brace. The team has fought injuries and illness all season.

Sherlynn Rodriguez, Co-Editor

The Lady Bison basketball team has battled through district. With eight games left and only a few girls on the team, these girls continue to work and compete every day.

“It’s been a really tough season,” junior Alondra Dominguez said. “However, I think that the team has really improved and gotten better.”

The team has faced many different challenges through their season. They lost two players because of injuries and others have been at home due to COVID and other illnesses.

“After the doctor told me I couldn’t play anymore I was really sad,” senior Sherlynn Rodriguez said. “This was my last year of playing high school basketball and I never thought that my season would end like this.”

The team’s next game will be Jan. 14 against Elkhart. The team will be playing with only five girls.

“With many of the girls sick and injured, our team has fallen short,” freshman Kaylee Rodriguez said. “It is really hard because we don’t get many breaks, but as long as we keep working and giving all our effort, I think we’ll be okay.”

Although this season has not gone the way they wanted, the girls still choose to keep a positive attitude. They encourage each other every day and keep giving it their all.

“Even though I can’t play anymore, I always make sure to keep my teammates up,” junior Alison Bing said. “I always love to keep a positive energy and cheer them on at practice and during the games.”