Cheerleaders hold kiddie camp

msm

Saloni Jariwala and the other cheerleaders keep the Pre-K and Kindergarten cheer campers lined up during the National Anthem.

April Martinez, Co-Editor

The varsity cheerleaders had some help cheering on the football boys last Friday’s Pink Out game. Girls in Pre-K through sixth grade lined up on the sidelines to support the players and lead the crowd.

The cheerleaders collaborated with parent Cindy Early to hold a kiddie camp for young girls to learn cheers, play games, and hang out with the high school girls. They practiced on Oct. 19 and 20 at City Hall from 3:30-5:30.

“It got overwhelming at times because of having to watch for everyone,” junior Avery Best said. “But the girls did a good job at paying attention and focusing on the cheers.”

Captain Jazlynn Early created and taught cheers to the rest of the team, then cheerleaders were assigned groups to teach the younger girls.

“I learned how short the attention span of a three-year-old is,” Early said. “I had a lot of fun, though, and I would definitely do it again.”

At the game, each group performed at different quarters of the game. Pre-K and kindergarten started off first quarter, followed by the first through third graders in the second quarter.

“It was great to see the girls experience this activity and have fun with it,” Co-Captain Addison Lathrop said. “They all had the biggest smiles on their faces.”

The older students took over for the second half, and while each group brought it’s own energy to the game, the students were all excited to take part.

“I loved teaching the little girls who are interested in cheer like I am,” senior Saloni Jariwala said. “I hope they grow from that camp to become a cheerleader when they get to junior high and high school.”