Speech and debate hosts meet to start season

Kayla Padron, Reporter

The speech and debate team started its season last Saturday, hosting a teaching tournament and winning several medals and working on their strategies as well. For the students, it was the first in-person meet since before the pandemic.

“The students were so excited to be able to meet in person, and honestly, so were the coaches,” debate coach Melonie Menefee said. “It was good to be in the same room with the kids and working together again.”

Novice speakers had classes in the morning and competed in the afternoon.

“This was our first competition, and we did pretty well,” sophomore Emma Cocking said. “I hope we do this well in all our other meets.”

Students took learning workshops and then competed afterwards. They participated in debate, persuasive speaking, interp, novice extemp, and novice interp.

“The workshops really helped with competing and they made me a better speaker,” sophomore Nicolette Arabie said. “I’m also excited to compete in person since I haven’t in a long time.”

Arabie and senior Omar Almeida competed together in varsity debate and got first place. Almeida also competed in varsity persuasive speaking, and also got first place.

“I’m glad that we were able to compete in person. Competing virtually is way different from in person and it’s much harder,” Almeida said. “It’s much more satisfying to compete in person and be in the same room with your competitors and the judges.”

Senior Ashley White competed in varsity interp and placed first. Cocking took third in novice extemp. Senior Sky Harrell placed first in novice interp.

“This was my first time competing and it was not as scary as I thought it would be,” senior Sky Harrell said. “I couldn’t believe that I got first place.”