NHS inducts new members

Seventeen new National Honor Society members were inducted last Monday night in a ceremony led by the organization’s five officers. NHS honors leadership, academic achievements and participation in school activities and community service.

Due to basketball games rescheduling due to COVID issues, the induction ceremony was pushed back several days, but the new inductees were all there for the ceremony.  President Asa Henson began by introducing the officers and welcoming everyone for coming.

“I’m glad Covid didn’t take the tradition out of this ceremony,” Henson said. “The only thing that really changed was everyone was in masks, but we still had the same traditions.”

The induction included signing the book, which contains names from more than 20 years ago. Inductees then lit a candle which represented their vow to uphold character, leadership, scholarship and service and were pinned by adviser Lauren Rodriguez.

“It was a short ceremony but very meaningful for those of us being inducted,” sophomore Pari Jarawla said. “Having to maintain a 3.5 GPA and good standerders is hard but worth it in the end.”

The ceremony ended with the new inductees and all NHS members reciting the organization’s pledge, and was led by junior Omar Almeida.

“Leading the pledge was meaningful to me,” officer Omar Almedia said. “An oath to character, leadership, scholarship and service is what we represent.”