Cross country runners start season

Teague Meet

Saturday mornings might be for sleeping in, but during cross country season, the runners are up before the sun to make it to their meets. For their first race of the season, the runners headed to Teague.

“The worst part of Cross Country is having to wake up like at five in the morning,” sophomore Annabelle Greene said. “But it’s worth it because in the end it is improving my running skills and getting me in shape.”

The meet began with 56 varsity girls running two miles around the school. Although no one from Buffalo placed in the top 15, the girls improved their time.

“I was the first one to finish from Buffalo,” freshman Emma Cocking said. “Even though I didn’t place, I was still proud of myself because I improved and finished the race.”

There were seven different schools that ran at the meet: Buffalo, Teague, Westwood, Mexia, China Springs, Groesbeck and Fairfield.

“There were a lot of schools that ran at the meet, and it made me really nervous,” freshman Amy Sanchez said. “I still tried my best, though, and improved in my running.”

The varsity boys ran after the girls. A total of 48 boys ran three miles around the school. Sophomore Brandon Almeida was only three places away from placing in the top 15.

“I was a little mad and disappointed in myself because I was so close to placing,” Almeida said. “But now I know that I need to push myself a little harder during the next meet.”

Buffalo Meet

The runners back at it bright and early last Saturday morning. Their second meet of the season was held here at BHS, a first for the team, which meant they didn’t have to be up extra early to travel.

“I am glad we ran in Buffalo,” sophomore Anabelle Greene said. “It gave us an advantage because we knew what to expect.”

Despite a tough Buffalo course with steep hills, times improved. The girls started the morning off, running first with the boys following up after them.

“Running second honestly makes me more nervous,” freshman Luis Ortiz said. “But it gives me time to prepare and boost my adrenaline up.”

Although no one on the team placed in the top 15, the runners met their individual goals. They improved and got a better place from last time.

“I am really proud of myself because I did way better from our last meet in Teague,” freshman Elizabeth Daniel said. “I got a higher place than last time, and overall I feel like I improved.”