Spanish Club celebrates heritage with livestreamed performance

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, the Spanish Club celebrated by producing a show for the community. The show went online live for the community and campus, with club members able to watch the presentation live.

“I was very excited when Mr. Clements informed me he wanted to actually do something for Hispanic Heritage Month because we hadn’t done anything like this in years,” adviser Maria Salazar said. “We put everything together in less than two days, and it came out amazing.”

Principal John Clements asked the group to put together the program to recognize the ways in which Hispanic culture has impacted America. Afterward, he said that he was pleased with the way everything turned out.

“I think the club and Mrs. Salazar did an amazing job,” Clements said after the performance. “The dancing was incredible and the singing was amazing and mouth dropping. This turned out to be a huge success.”

The dancers practiced for hours the Sunday and Monday before the actual performance and put together several numbers to entertain the audience.

“We were originally only going to practice Monday, but we wanted to make things look better so we added Sunday,” sophomore Alondra Dominguez said. “I am glad we added that extra day because when we practiced we realized we needed more time.”

The dancers performed the Ribbon Dance, Viejito Dance, Folklore, Quebradita and a mixture of other Hispanic dances. Most of the performers were in at least two of the numbers.

“All of these dances were so much fun,” junior Karla Dominguez said. “That is what made it so much easier. We enjoyed doing them.”

Community member and parent Luz Elena Valles was invited to perform for the program as well, singing La Llorona to stay true to the theme.

“Being able to be a part of this made me feel so touched, especially because they asked me to sing,” Valles said.” I was very nervous but once I got out there and sang I instantly felt relief. After I finished the students made me feel emotional and welcome by their applause and their comments after the performance.”