Gold Out pep rally sees students fighting for spirit sticks

The Gold Out Pep rally is a relatively new tradition here at Buffalo, bringing the whole community together to support and raise money for children battling cancer with t-shirt sales that help fund childhood cancer research.

“I love the joy and smile this pep rally brings to people’s faces,” Principal John Clements said. “Even though our pep rallies are a little different now, it hasn’t stopped us from supporting the fight against childhood cancer and showing the community just how important it is.”

The pep rally started with the volleyball girls and football boys making their way into the gym as the cheerleaders, Belles and Brigade warmed up for their performances. The cheer coaches were pleased with their squad’s performances.

“Those girls have been working very hard this year, and it’s paying off,” coach Megan King said. “I am so proud of them and the way they work as a team; they looked great and got the crowd loud.”

Next up were the Bison Belles performing “Face to Face.”

“The girls did an exceptional job at the pep rally,” director Melissa Isaacs said. “It’s been a little hard adjusting to the new set-up of the pep rally, but they rocked it and I couldn’t be more proud of them.”

Following the Belles, the band stepped up to play “Confidence.”

“Even though we are small, we are very mighty,” director Jeff Villarreal said. “The kids have been working very hard, and I am very proud of their hard work and dedication.”

Following performances, students lined up in their hallways fight for the three spirit sticks up for grabs.

“I really enjoy the hallway pep rallies,” freshman Nicollette Arabie said. “It’s a lot of fun, and since I’m president of the freshman class I get to help make a lot of decisions; I like having that freedom.”

The theme this week was superpowers; juniors won best poster, seniors won best costume, and sophomores won best chant.

“I was excited to finally win a spirit stick this week,” junior Kai Collins said. “It felt good to have our name finally called.”