Science night draws a crowd

Family Science Night was held earlier this week and consisted of fun science-based activities for families and friends. The GEMS organization helped set up booths where people could come and do the fun activities that little GEMS do on Tuesdays.

“I was so glad that we were able to show the community the cool things we do with the little GEMS girls,” sophomore Hannah Travis said. “I think we have a fun, effective way to teach the girls more about science and solving problems.”

There were many different booths: a mobile planetarium, squishy circuits, flashlight makings, small robots and more. People were able to make their own flashlights, launch their own rockets, and learn more about the fun in science.

“I really enjoyed helping out as a big GEM that night,” freshman Pari Jariwla said. “Seeing families be together and do these fun science activities was a great experience.”

The mobile planetarium was one of the most popular booths that night. It showed and taught the kids and families all about the planets and galaxy. Groups of 30 were sent into the planetarium every thirty minutes for each section.

“Family Science Night was a fun night because I got to learn a little bit more about science in a fun way,” sophomore Saloni Jariwala said. “The mobile planetarium was my favorite part because I love to learn about the galaxy.”

This event was free to enter; however, there was a donation box and concession stand set up. All of the money raised will go to scholarships for seniors involved in the GEMS organization.

“I think it was a good idea to raise money and use it for scholarships,” junior Kayla Saenz said. “Family Science Night was a really fun night and a great way to teach kids more about science.”