CX teams advance to state

The 2018- 2019 speech and debate CX teams competed in district last month, and two pairs are now moving on to the State competition. The third team is a state alternate.

“I was so proud of all of the teams this year,” senior Andrea Garcia. “I was also excited for the younger teams who had first-year speech students on the team.”

Garcia and junior Colby Menefee won first in the CX district debate competition. Juniors Mollie Dittmar and Nishit Tailor won second. Both of these teams advanced to state. Also, freshmen Omar Almeida and Caylee Ayres took fourth place and were awarded alternates for the state competition.

“Two of our teams had first-time debaters competing,” Garcia said. “I am excited about their future.”

Menefee was awarded an individual award for the top speaker. The top speaker is the person who gave the best speeches in the competition rounds. This is Menefee’s second year in a row to be given the award.  

“I was so honored to win top speaker,” Menefee said. “I didn’t expect this to happen two years in a row.”

The CX state competition will be held in Austin the week following spring break. The teams are working continuously to get better and prepare for the upcoming debates.

“These guys have worked so hard and put in so many hours,” speech coach Melonie Menefee said. “I am so excited to see what they accomplish at state.”