Bonfire kicks off homecoming

The homecoming bonfire was back at the high school campus and had a DJ and food trucks added to the evening to add to the fun. Students began on Tuesday morning to search for wood pallets to burn. After they collected a couple trailorfuls, they began to start building near the football field.

“We went all around town and even to a few neighboring towns to get the best pallets,” senior Kenzie Ryder said. “Luckily, many stores saved their pallets for this event.”

It is really important to have several adults supervising the event to ensure the safety of students and faculty members. The teacher on top of the pile was Physics teacher and Cross Country coach Kyle Gleghorn.

“It’s imperative to have people on the pile that are strong enough to pull pallets up when they’re handed to them,” Gleghorn said. “If you don’t have people that know what they’re doing, it takes twice as long to build.”

Once all the pallets were gathered, students began to paint their names on pallets. A group of students started this the night before in order to be more productive the day of.

“All of our signs were painted and ready to go on Monday night,” senior Chase Thompson said. “We were able to load way more signs and get more pallets that way on Tuesday.”

At the bonfire, there were many booths including food, a DJ, the actual bonfire and an assortment of games.

“I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that Principal Hickerson hired a DJ to play,” senior Dylan Cornish said. “The music really added to the whole feel of the bonfire and got students more active in it.”

This bonfire was very important to all the students but especially the seniors, seeing as it was their last one.

“We wanted to make it as fun as possible,” senior Melanie Mcgill said. “Throughout the whole process, the senior class bonded a lot and it was a great last bonfire, definitely one for the books.”

Of course safety was an important factor. The fire department was on hand to monitor the fire and to keep the area surrounding it wet. To make sure everyone behaved, Police Chief Lance Pavelka came to monitor.

“People acted exactly like they were supposed to,” Pavelka said “That made my job much easier because I could sit back and enjoy the bonfire like everyone else.”