Journalism students attend state convention

“I give myself permission to write crap” everyone in the journalism session chanted, keeping their right arm up in the air, taking an oath.

This was one of the dozens of sessions that were provided for the 650 journalists who attended the Texas Association of Journalism Educators statewide Fall Fiesta.

“The first day we got there we had a photography scavenger hunt,” sophomore Kaline Martinez said. ”We didn’t win, but it was still so much fun getting to see San Antonio and compete with other photographers.”

Sunday had journalists in class from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. to learn about every possible aspect of high school journalism.

“It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be,” sophomore Scarlet Carrillo said. “I actually liked it and learned plenty of new things that I think can help us improve.”

Although the convention was serious and and time to learn, students used the evenings after class to check out San Antonio.

“We went to so many places,” Martinez said. “We went to a haunted house, the Guinness World Records, to the Riverwalk, and the Zombie Walk at La Villita. It was so much fun and a good relaxer after having classes.”

While the evenings were fun, the convention was the main draw.

“My favorite part was the intensive writing class I took,” junior Colby Menefee said. “I learned how to be more effective and it was very helpful; I’m glad I took it.“

The journalism staff went to the convention so they could learn more tips and tricks to make their writing more effective, have better ideas and tips on yearbooks and to network with other high school journalists and teachers.

“I think anytime journalism students, especially from a small town school like ours is being exposed to instructors from across the state and country, it’s a positive thing,” advisor Melonie Menefee said.  “The kids seemed to enjoy it and learned many new things to help improve our program.”