Twenty One Pilots is back

After a 365-day hiatus, Twenty One Pilots came back, this time with a new addition to the story of Blurryface. Trench released on October 5, and fans have already gone crazy with theories. From the moment the eye closed on July 6, 2017, to the moment it opened back up again a year later, fans were piecing together bits and pieces of the puzzle from the Blurryface era.

Josh Dun (drummer) and Tyler Joseph (singer) dropped off the social media radar until the first hint was given for the theme of Trench. At the Alternative Press Music Awards, Twenty One Pilots won the award for the most dedicated fan base; however, only Dun was there to claim the award. When Dun walked on stage, he claimed Joseph was ‘severing ties with DEMA’. Everything suddenly started to escalate from there when letters by a character named ‘Clancy’ were posted on the DEMA website, dmaorg.info. One letter translated into ‘EAST IS UP’, which soon appeared in the single “Nico and the Niners” a few months later.

“DEMA don’t control us. DEMA don’t control, east is up,” ~Nico and the Niners

The new album follows the story of Joseph and his personal demon, Blurryface. Each music video follows the previous and shows the process of the ‘Bandito’ rebellion fighting against Nico and the Niners and escaping the jail that is the trench. Everything in the album feeds into the story. For example, the album cover colors are black and yellow. According to the DEMA website, Nico and the Niners can’t see yellow, so the color can be used as a cover. Yellow was first hinted in the “Jumpsuit” music video when yellow flower petals were thrown and Joseph screamed cover me.

“Spirits in my room, friend or foe? Felt it in my youth, feel it when I’m old. Jumpsuit, jumpsuit (cover me). Dusting off my jumpsuit, cover me,” ~Jumpsuit

Joseph claimed Trench would be somewhat like their debut album but Trench would have more of a storyline. That statement was definitely true. “Bandito”, “Neon Gravestones” and “Legend” reflect their self-titled album while also keeping it new and original with songs like “Pet Cheetah” and “Jumpsuit”.

What’s my problem? Well, I want you to follow me down to the bottom, underneath the insane asylum. Keep your wits about you while you got ’em

‘Cause your wits are first to go while you’re problem-solving’,” ~Neon Gravestones

This amazing storyline makes it hard to choose a favorite song. Pet Cheetah, Neon Gravestones, Smithereens, Morph and Jumpsuit are a few of my favorites mostly because the bass lines and rhythm is beautifully catchy.

“I’ve got a pet cheetah down in my basement. I’ve bathed him, and raised him, and named him Jason Statham. I’ve trained him to make these beats. Now my pet cheetah’s quicker in the studio than on his feet.” ~Pet Cheetah

I’d definitely recommend this album to anyone who loves stories within music and a beautiful message. All of the stories behind the songs are profound and brilliant. If you listen to this album, create theories, appreciate the music, and spread the message. Remember, We are Twenty One Pilots, and so are you.