BSR Surf Park closed for testing


Josalyn Taylor

BSR Cable Park Surf Resort is currently being tested for Naegleria fowleri. This is commonly known as a “brain-eating amoeba.” The park closed on September 21 after an out-of-state visitor was infected by the amoeba, said Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesperson, Kelly Craine.

Fabrizio “Fab” Stabile came from out of state to visit the park and died on September 21 from Naegleria fowleri. According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, only four people out of 143 infected in the United States between 1962 and 2017 have actually survived. The amoeba can cause a deadly infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis when the cominatted water enters a person’s body through the nose. Symptoms of the disease start to show one to nine days after swimming, and infected people typically die one to 18 days after the symptoms start.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. has told interviewers BSR Surf Resort values its guests’ safety and will continue to comply with requests from the CDC and local health department in the investigation of the death of Stabile.