Journalism staff celebrates Lifetouch win

The journalism staff enjoyed a cookie cake to celebrate winning third place in Lifetouch’s National Best of the Best competition, competing against all the yearbooks produced by Lifetouch nationwide in the small schools division.

“I am so proud to be a part of journalism because I love getting to help make the yearbook each year,” editor Lilah Adams said. “It may be really time consuming and all, but the hard work pays off. We worked super hard on the yearbook last year and look where it got us; I couldn’t be more proud.”

The staff regularly wins awards in the Lifetouch contest; several years ago they won first place, but since then it has mostly been honorable mentions; the move up in rankings indicates a stronger book. The cookie cake celebration with their yearbook reps has become an annual tradition since the team wins every year.  

“I find it really cool that even though I wasn’t a part of journalism last year I got to participate in the celebration,” freshman Itzel Velazquez said. “Our journalism class is kind of like a family because no one ever gets left out of anything. I am super excited to have had the chance to help out with this year’s yearbook and I can’t wait to see what we get.”

Yearbook representatives Kim Weaver and Neashia Simpson traveled from Tyler to celebrate with the staff. They brought the cookie cake, and adviser Melonie Menefee bought pizza for everyone.

“I am really proud of how far we came last year with the yearbook,” Menefee said. “My staff worked really hard and I merely pointed them in the right direction and made their visions of the yearbook come true. I have high hopes for this year’s yearbook because we’ve already put so much time and effort into it. I’m looking forward to continuing to accomplish new goals with this staff.”