Track competitors advance to regionals

On Wednesday, area qualifiers in track traveled to Keene to compete in hopes for a spot at regionals.

“The night before was so nerve racking,” junior Colton Green said. “It was scary because I knew everyone there was just as good as my team or even better.”

As they arrived at the meet, they knew the stakes were high. Only three would advance to regionals in each event. There were 15 schools there:Teague, Blooming Grove, Palmer, Mildred, Malakoff, Elkhart, Grandview, Maypearl, Keene, Smith, Leon, Frankston, Rice, Westwood and Rio Vista.

“I knew I had the capabilities but something inside me was still scared,” senior Ryan Rath said. “I’ve been training so hard every day and I didn’t want to let myself down or my team.”

Rath’s hard work paid off; he is advancing to regionals with first place in long jump. In addition to Rath, senior Dawson Adams placed first in 300 meter hurdles and second in 110 meter hurdles, sophomore Samantha Simpson placed third in long jump and sophomore Molly Dittmar placed third in discus. They will all compete at regionals in Waco.

Senior Ryan Rath warms up while teammate Dawson Adams looks on.

“I am so extremely proud of us,” Dittmar said. “I never thought I’d get this far and I am so blessed to have this opportunity.”

Coaches were pleased with the results.

“I have never had a group with so much passion and drive,” girls track coach Smith said. “They want it so bad, and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they go all the way to state.”